Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Swimming Lessons


I wish I had taken my camera to the first day of swimming lessons yesterday, but I didn't want to be one of "those" moms...whatever "those" moms are. haha I was tempted to sneak a few pictures on my cell phone, but I didn't know how the other parents might feel. I don't think I would like a strange adult taking pictures of my kids in their bathing suits. Maybe I'm not "strange" though? Or maybe I am... haha

So I will just have to write about the swimming lessons. *sigh*

Owen's lesson was first. His lesson was for the 3-5 year olds who pretty much had no previous water experience.

It was quite funny watching, and the other parents were all laughing and commenting that we should have this on video for America's Funniest Home Videos. In one of the groups (there were 4-5 kids per instructor) about 4 of the 5 children were crying, screaming the entire time. One started first, then another joined in and then when the instructor started dunking the kids they all started crying one by one. For a moment there ALL the kids were crying. Poor things. It reminded me of the mall at Christmas and the moms trying to shuffle their kids on Santa's lap whether they liked it or not....and usually they didn't like it. haha

Owen's group, however, was pretty calm in comparison and no one cried. At first Owen refused to do anything but sit on the side of the pool. Finally the instructor just made him get in the water with her and blow bubbles, float on his back, practice his arm strokes, etc. After she made him get in the water he was okay with it and enjoyed the rest of the lesson.
I asked him if I could go swimming with him sometime and he said "no way". He said that I would not hold on to him good enough. So he trusts the swim instructor more then me. Great. haha

Brayden and Alex's lesson were next. As I thought, Alex would be goofy about it. haha He was the only kid who kept letting go of the wall and trying to go off and practice swimming on his own. He was probably the oldest or second oldest in the class which was for 6-12 yr olds so that was part of the problem. He had the same skills as the younger kids but he felt he was too old for the class.
Brayden was a bit scared, like I knew he would be. He had a scary incident with water when he was about 4 yrs old and he doesn't like going out into open water where he cant hold on to anything. He wouldn't put his head under water and when the kids were supposed to practice swimming from the rope to the wall...he walked along the wall holding the edge. That's okay though- it was just his first lesson and I know he'll just get better and become more confident as the lessons continue on.

The kids love the pool now though and want to go swimming all the time. I hope to go more as a family, but it's hard with two babies. I can't do it alone with all the kids so Billy will have to come or stay at home with the younger two babies.

2 comments:

Family Circus 6 said...

Ethan and Danissa started swimming lessons yesterday and I didn't bring my camera either ;)

SarahAnne said...

Hey, Bethany. I have been keeping up with you but haven't commented for a while. ;o) I love swimming lessons. It can be a pain with so many kids (I have 5 so I know, LOL) but it is so fun to watch them. Good luck with it!