Thursday, January 7, 2010

Taking a deep breath.....

...and we're jumping in headfirst to a big life-changing decision for our family.

Billy and I have decided to homeschool the boys. This has been something that we have considered and discussed since Alex started kindergarten over five years ago. It is not something we're jumping into blind or on an act of frustration. No this is not a sudden decision by any means. This is a decision that has been building and building and building until finally the literal straw broke the camel's back and we realized that it's time. We can no longer just discuss it, we have to act on it.

I spent two weeks of the boys' winter break doing hours of research and soul-searching on what we should do. The more I learned, the more I started to feel that homeschooling is really the best route we can take.  Our concerns of social and academic issues were addressed as I did my research and found that it will actually be BETTER socially and academically to homeschool.

I know it will be hard and no walk in the park. I know it will require a lot of me and there will be a lot of trial and error, especially during the first year. However, I know that failing is not an option and we HAVE to succeed.

I am excited, the boys are excited, and Billy is excited. I have plans in place to keep the boys and myself on track.

For more info and to follow along on our journey, I started a blog especially for our progress and adventures in homeschooling!
http://boysnbooks.blogspot.com/

We can't wait!

4 comments:

CONVERTGIRL said...

wow! what a change that's gonna be! but i've always heard that properly homeschooled kids do much better academically. good for you guys! good luck.

Family Circus 6 said...

I'm so excited for you!!! I really wish I had that option! You guy will do great!

Unknown said...

So, I've considered this many times. Given that I'm a young single male, it's really not a pressing matter for me, but I'm really excited to hear how it goes for you guys. I have great faith in your family. Definitely let me know how it all goes for you!

Dielle said...

What a great way to make a decision, prayerfully and with study and faith. We've homeschooled from the beginning, but my decision was made the same way. I had no way of knowing when my oldest was 3-4, what a blessing it would also be in the lives of my older children (most of whom weren't born yet). It's been so reaffirming to have ah ha! moments where I realized that the Lord knew long ago that this was the right decision for our family and how it would bless them at this very moment in time.

Good luck with this great journey!